In the past, skin treatments were often thought to be only for women. However, modern skin treatments for men have become increasingly popular due to many factors, such as the growing awareness of skincare’s importance and the changing perception of men’s grooming habits.
More and more men are striving to look their best, and many are discovering the wide variety of skin treatments available to help them achieve their desired look. From facial treatments that can reduce wrinkles and acne to body treatments that can reduce cellulite and stubborn fat, there are many options men can choose from to appear more youthful and vibrant.
1.) Wrinkle Relaxers
Wrinkle relaxers, or neuromodulators, are injectable skin treatments that can help men look younger and more refreshed. These treatments work by reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines that can form on the face due to aging and repetitive facial movements like smiling, laughing, and frowning. Wrinkle relaxers help to relax the muscles underneath the skin, allowing them to move more freely and creating a smoother, more youthful look. Common wrinkle relaxers include:
- Botox® Cosmetic: Botox temporarily reduces muscle contractions in the face, limiting muscle movement and creating a smoother appearance on the skin’s surface. It may provide results that last 3-4 months and can be administered in a quick visit with little to no downtime.
- Dysport®: Dysport is another neuromodulator that works similarly to Botox by limiting muscle movement to control expression lines. It is more diluted and may require more units for effective results, but some patients may see quicker results with Dysport.
- Daxxify®: This brand-new neuromodulator uses an advanced formulation to create longer-lasting results that may remain for 6-9 months. Daxxify is FDA-approved to treat glabellar lines, but it can also be used off-label to treat other facial wrinkles.
2.) Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are another popular skin treatment, especially among men. These treatments add volume to the skin, which can help fill in wrinkles and fine lines and enhance facial features like the cheeks and lips. The effects of dermal fillers are not permanent, so they need to be repeated periodically to maintain the desired appearance; however, they can provide natural-looking results without stiffness. Effective dermal fillers and injectables include:
- Juvéderm®: Juvéderm dermal fillers restore natural contours and volume to the lips and cheeks. These fillers can help correct severe facial wrinkles and volume loss with hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring substance in the body that provides support and hydration to the skin.
- Radiesse®: This volumizing collagen stimulator helps rebuild dermal structure for an ideally contoured face shape.
- Restylane®: This HA filler restores volume loss and can be combined with other injectables for significant results. Combined with Botox treatment, it can create a liquid facelift to help smooth wrinkles and rejuvenate skin.
3.) Skin Resurfacing
Skin resurfacing is another type of skin treatment that can help men achieve a younger look. This procedure removes the top layer of the skin, revealing the smoother, more youthful layer beneath. Skin resurfacing can help improve the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots, acne scars, and other skin imperfections.
The UltraPulse® fractional CO2 laser is an advanced resurfacing method that removes the top layer of the dermis without damaging surrounding tissue. While removing the top layer of impurities and damage, the fractional CO2 laser also stimulates collagen production to create firmer skin. Patients can have multiple sessions for optimal results that provide lasting benefits for months and years.
The UltraPulse laser has multiple modes for a customizable procedure, including:
- DeepFX: Deep fractional ablation for severe wrinkles and acne scarring
- Active FX: Superficial fractional ablation for even skin texture
- Total FX: Combined fractional ablation for restorative results
4.) Skin Rejuvenation
Skin rejuvenation treatments can help to improve the overall appearance of the skin. This can be done with light and heat-based devices and microneedling, which uses tiny needles to create microchannels in the skin to stimulate collagen production. By stimulating collagen production to improve skin tone, these treatments can help reduce wrinkles, age spots, dark spots, and other signs of aging.
Common skin rejuvenation treatments include:
- M22™ IPL with ResurFx: This advanced fractional non-ablative technology can create incredible results with one session. The device has hundreds of treatment combinations for optimal results. ResurFx, an innovative cooling technology, helps protect the skin from overheating and provides a comfortable treatment.
- Potenza™ RF microneedling: This device uses the skin’s natural healing response to stimulate collagen production using semi-insulated microneedles. The advanced, minimally invasive treatment protects the outer layer of the skin and allows treatment for all skin types.
- AFT pulsed light: This non-invasive treatment utilizes light and heat to rejuvenate the skin. The targeted area absorbs the pulsed light energy to improve damaged skin and spur collagen production.
Take Control of Your Appearance with Coast Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center
At Coast Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center in Laguna Beach, California, our team of board-certified dermatologists is committed to enhancing skin health and beauty for men and women. Our experts provide customized treatments to help men achieve desirable contouring and skin health without signs of cosmetic procedures. Contact us to schedule a consultation and learn more about the most popular skin treatments for men.